Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Journey Begins



Well, today is the day.  The journey starts…just me and roughly 300 lbs of luggage on an around the world trip to Korea.  I’m a little worried that my carry-on bag is about half the size of my full-sized luggage.  I’ve like to pass along my thanks to the Air Force for requiring me to “hand carry” about 15 lbs of stuff.  I’m sure that my dental records are a matter of national security. 

The Montgomery airport is a thing of beauty.  We parked literally in the first row from the airport.  It takes about 10 minutes to check in, check baggage, and go through security.  Unfortunately, my subconscious thinks about Charlotte or Atlanta and I refuse to show up less than an hour and a half early.  So we spent the extra time in the common waiting area upstairs.  After all, signs advertised “restaurant and lounge.”  By restaurant (not restaurants), they meant Subway.  By lounge, they meant lounge.  No kidding, that was the name…kinda catchy, right?

After clearing security, I walked the length of the terminal and checked out all six gates.  Yes, there are only six gates.  I felt that there might be a problem when there wasn’t a single airplane at any of the gates.  Fifteen minutes after I was supposed to takeoff, a lady came over the loudspeaker and announced that our plane had just taken off from Atlanta.  It would land roughly 55 minutes after planned takeoff, which means we should be airborne about an hour and a quarter late.  Sweet!  I love running through the Atlanta airport trying to make a connecting flight.  I just hope my luggage can run as fast as me!

Update…

My luggage made it and I found the courtesy van to the Marriott.  After checking in at the hotel, I went down to the pool to hang out with a friend from SAASS who is on his way to Japan.  Sitting by the pool, I realized my first mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment